Everyone Has A Story

 Sometimes we forget that our lives are not the only thing that matters.





Our fellow humans each have a vast array of stories to tell.

While sitting in the drive thru line up yesterday, I saw an old man smoking a cigarette outside of a building. I glanced over and noticed that he did not have an ear.  My thoughts pondered what may have happened for this gentleman to lose an appendage that we all take for granted.  It occurred to me that he had a story inside of him.

Then my thoughts travelled to people I knew personally, but had neglected to remember until this moment, how many obstacles they had faced over the course of their lives.  I settled on one man's life who is a shining example of overcoming challenge.  From what I could recall from the stories I had heard about his earlier life, he had survived a traumatic upbringing, alcoholism, the death of two infant children, bankruptcy from job loss, house fire, losing his lifelong partner to cancer, and triple bypass heart surgery which caused him to retreat into full retirement.  No wonder he is just plain tired...

Thinking my own problems had been a burden on my life, I realized how many stories each of us carry.  Some people may look at me as a bereaved parent and wonder how I could even breathe after losing a child, but sometimes we forget the montage of events that many people have lived through.  Some encounter devastating war, poverty, being exposed to murder or evil tangents against humanity, and still these beautiful souls who have weathered the storm, rush to the aid of a person that is falling to their knees.

There is one thing I have learned over the course of my life, and that is our lessons are bountiful and full of experience that sometimes we can't quite fathom how we ever survived.  

Take a long look in the mirror today, and give yourself credit for being here.  You have risen above every challenge you have ever been faced with.  Perhaps you are in the midst of turmoil at this very moment... but always remember, we exist to learn and no test is ever wasted.  

So, stay strong and face your life's exam with pen and paper in hand.


Subscribe HERE so new articles will be sent directly to your inbox.




Comments