Just For A Moment... Let The World Disappear

What if you could just turn off the switch?


What if, for one moment of your day, the outside world didn't exist?

It has come to my attention, that we require a mental shut-off valve at least once per day.  Perhaps you don't do much with the moment, but here's a little secret of what you can do with that time.

You're sitting at your desk, watching TV, or clogged in a line of traffic that isn't going anywhere... you can retreat into your mind and your imagination will open up, like the curtains at a Broadway show.  Perhaps you still need a little attention dedicated to your surroundings, so you keep your eyes open but what you discover is a vast world of silence, relaxation or maybe a little fun.

As I pondered this thought, I decided to shuck the world into my pocket and all distractions fell into oblivion.  My mind opened up to picture a lush, green meadow and a row of bush line echoed the side of a rippling brook.  I proceeded to sit down on the soft grass and sprawl out my body in an attempt to take in the great artwork of the sky.  The sound of the water trickled along the rocks and created a mesmerizing tune of nature.  I hadn't laid on the grass in years, and I imagined that my grandson was close by, crawling alongside me, enjoying every moment that we shared.  I rolled over and got up on my hands and knees to chase this crawling babe, who thought this was the funniest time he had ever had with Grandma.  We collapsed in laughter and lay there looking deeply into each other's eyes, as he grabbed my hand in a comforting notion that we needed to do this more often.  We turned our attention to the clouds up above, and began finding pictures of animals staring back at us from amid the billowing mounds of white fluffiness.  We rolled down the incline towards the water's edge, and bursts of laughter filled the air.  We stopped just short of the ledge and looked over the side of the bank to see our reflection in the ripples.  Our heads came together in appreciation of the moment and our love overflowed into each droplet of the stream that flowed below us...

Just then, the sound of a honking horn broke my thought pattern, but my smile was so large, I was overwhelmed with a feeling of immense joy and gratitude.  I pulled forward 10 feet, to catch up to the car in front of me, and as I slid my foot against the brake, I basked in the feeling of contentment...  

I realized just how little effort it takes to escape from the chaos, if only for a moment.



Kim Halerwich-Clark is a Certified NLP Practitioner and Life Coach, as well as, the author of multiple personal development books. Kim is an Instructor on Udemy where she teaches a variety of topics to students all around the globe, including the course, The Quest for Happiness in 30 Days or Less.  

She is the Founder of The Solution Wizard Company that is dedicated to assisting individuals in overcoming challenges that face society everyday.





Visit TSW eBook & Training Shop

Comments